Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pioneer Pilgrimage

Saturday 30th June. 6 of us drove to Dalmeny Station for 10a.m. and walked to Burntisland. Spectacular views going over the Forth Bridge. Stopped to pray at St. Bridget's Church. We carried a candle, glass scallop shell and fish. We left a fish at some point on each stage of our pilgrimage. Coast Path is lovely and well signposted. Picnic at picnic tables at Dalgety Bay. 2 returned from Aberdour station. Others from Burntisland. At least 13 miles.Home at 7p.m.
Sunday 1st July. Bus from Glasgow.Joined others at the cathedral at 10.30 for send-off by the Cardinal. Good to meet with other pilgrims.Unfortunately some pilgrims took the wrong cycle path and this made the journey much longer.Organisers need to make maps/instructions clearer. 10/14 miles.
Tuesday July 3rd. Took 2 cars to Kinghorn. Walked the Coast Path to Leven.Took about 6.5 hours walking at a good pace.Lunch at picnic site outside Kirkcaldy. Prayed at St. Adrian's church, West Wemyss.This was a long day and very tiring. Last stretch is through not very attractive towns.Stayed 2 nights in Caledonian Hotel,Leven.Very comfortable and reasonable price. Taxi to Kinghorn to collect cars.
Wednesday July 4th. Joined by 2 other pilgrims. Walked to Elie, about 10 miles. Very pretty villages. Path in to Earlsferry is quite high and steep. Stopped at a ruin to pray.Bus back to Leven from Elie at 5p.m. Dinner in the Ship Inn in Elie.
Thursday 5th July. Drove to St. Andrews.Lunch at the Byre.Walked about 3 miles south along the Coast Path.It was high tide and we had to take the upper route. It was steep, slippery and eventually impassable. Walked to road and got bus back to St. Andrews. Stayed in friends'caravans. Final prayer/sharing session in caravan.
Prayer to St. Andrew
Help us to love our land but to hate no other. Help us to love and appreciate our traditions but to understand and respect the beliefs of others. Help us to bring love and understanding where there is hate and distrust. Protect this nation, Scotland, and all who live here and make the cross of Scotland a symbol of love,friendship,hope,justice and compassion. Saint Andrew, pray for us.

Hi, Paul here, i started off from Whitburn with my 10 yr old son who had a bike. We got the train into Edinburgh, met up with other pilgrims on the Sunday at the Cathedral. Walked to North Queensferry. Got train back to Edinburgh, then to Whitburn. Stayed in house on the Monday as it rained non-stop and my son was moaning. Caught the train into Edin, then To North Queensferry to pick up my sons bike which we had left on the platform ( Hazard tape and sign on bike from Scotrail saying they were going to nick it) Walked to Burntisland, went to shows, walked to Kirkcaldy,caught bus to Methil (son was knackered) stayed overnight at St Agathas with Father Joseph, weds went to Mass then set off for St Andrews, Stuck to Coastal Path, managed to get as far as Anstruther before my son Jamie caved in. Got bus to outskirts of St Andrews, walked to St Andrews. Thurs i was sick as a dog and missed the Rosary parade, open air Mass and had to catch bus back to Edinburgh, train to Armadale and walked to Whitburn. Never rained once!!

Leaving USA to walk trail in July 2013. Flying into Glasgow taking some type of public transportation to Edinburgh (not sure how yet) and finishing up in St. Andrews for the Highland Games on Sunday. I'm guessing somehow getting back to Glasgow to fly home. I can't print off a way card is there a place I can order one? Also where in St. Andrews can I get my certificate of completion. Thank you for any help and info you would like to share with me to make this easier. Also thinking of getting a eurobuzz phone. Has anyone tried them. Thank you

Most of the restrictions for the prevention of the spread of Covid have now been lifted in Scotland and normal pilgrimage activity is now possible. However, when you are planning your pilgrimage, please consult the latest government guidelines and be aware that these can change at short notice.
Most of the restrictions for the prevention of the spread of Covid have now been lifted in Scotland and normal pilgrimage activity is now possible.