Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

St Columba’s Way

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi all,

I’m hoping to find someone who has experience walking St Columba’s Way all the way from Iona to St Andrews. I’m planning a 20-25 day walk in 2019 and would love to learn from someone who has done the full walk.

Thanks!

I plan the same walk starting in May 2019 and continuing all the way to Jerusalem. I am starting to layout the stage by stage plans and looking for places to eat, sleep and get supplies for wild camping etc. Good luck on your plans.
I suspect more and more information will become available as this route is completed. Check back often.
Cheers!
John

Planning continues! A couple of friends have decided to join me for the journey as far as St Andrews so that's a pretty awesome way to start my long walk south! GPS has been purchased and way points loaded. Looks like a mix of camping and rooms when available. Still collecting details on where supplies are available, hostels, pubs, restaurants etc. There seems to be a pretty long section between Iona and Loch Buie with limited resources. Wild camping two nights with supplies from Iona unless something materializes between now a May 2019.
Happy Planning
Cheers!
John

Still early in my planning. You're right about Iona-Loch Buie. Planning on at least two and maybe three nights camping. Heard that the south coast can be pretty overgrown in spots, so I'm assuming some slow going. Maybe since you're going first, you can beat a path for me?

Haven't got to detailed planning quite yet, but very soon. Spoke with someone who did most of the route and he was able to find accommodation in most places by calling or emailing a few hours before his arrival. Thinking I'll follow a similar plan. Since I'm not continuing on to Jerusalem (!!!!) I'm counting on a bit more leisurely pace and the chance to explore along the way.

Hope the planning goes well.If you find something that looks important to know, I'd love to hear it, and I'll do the same for you.

Peace,
Clay

Just really starting on the planning here. You're well ahead of me!
You're right about the stretch between Iona and Loch Buie. I'm assuming I might be out 3 nights on Mull. The southern route was overgrown last year, so going might be slow, or may even necessitate an alternate route.
If in my planning I see anything that looks like a can't miss, I'll let you know. Feel free to do the same. Best of luck with the rest of the prep!

Cheers!
Clay

Yes!
I'll keep you all posted as plans progress. I have started a FB page called. "Cover the earth before it covers you" feel free to check it out. I have found a place called the Lochbuie Larder or The Old Post Office that does pre add meals that you can order. Looks very good and might be a welcome option for dinner one night on the trail.
Looks like my retirement paperwork will go in soon so the next step will be to book the flight and transport from Glasgow. Plan will be to fly out of Toronto Friday May 3rd to arrive Saturday morning. I've also just joined the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome and will renew the membership to the Long Distance Walkers Association. Their website has been an excellent resource.
Cheers!
John

Sorry, that should read "pre-made meals"

The weather forecast is not good for the next month in the Oban area

Planning and preparations continue here as well! I think you're absolutely right about Iona to Loch Buie. Let me know if you find anything particularly helpful for that stretch, and I'll do the same. I'm expecting it's camping through that section, and a few other sections as well. I also heard that section (Iona-Loch Buie) can be quite overgrown in sections. Hopefully it's cleared for 2019!
With such a long walk ahead of you, how far are you hoping to walk on average each day?

Best of luck with planning! Sorry for the slow reply - I've tried to message several times over the last two months, but it hasn't worked. I plan to be more regular in the next few months.

Blessings,
Clay

Hi John! Fernando here, from Brazil! Preparing for St Columba´s way, and planning to start my walk in less than a month, in jan 3rd! I´ll start in Oban!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2Next
Most of the restrictions for the prevention of the spread of Covid have now been lifted in Scotland and normal pilgrimage activity is now possible. However, when you are planning your pilgrimage, please consult the latest government guidelines and be aware that these can change at short notice.
Most of the restrictions for the prevention of the spread of Covid have now been lifted in Scotland and normal pilgrimage activity is now possible.